Friday, January 13, 2012

Indian Tea / Chai

Brewed my style


Might seem weird posting a recipe of tea. But, I have a reason for posting this one.



Until the age of twenty two, I had never tasted tea. I'm not joking! I don't remember why, but, I used to refuse to drink tea. The first time I ever made tea was on the very next day of my wedding, for my husband. I confidently handed the cup to him. He took a sip out of it and the excitement he had on his face drew down to total despondency. His eyes rolled up as he exclaimed, "Oh God! Can tea be brewed like this too?" A terribly embarrassing moment.. Well, that's the day, I took up the challenge of brewing the best chai ever.. Today, years later, my husband is a big fan of my tea. No, no! I'm not boasting! :) Not only he, but my family, my friends and relatives are all a big fans of my tea and coffee..  This post is for those of you out there who have gone through a similar situation, or fears facing such a situation.. You too can brew the best Chai now.. Follow me! :)

There are different methods of brewing tea. I've tried many, but feel this is the best.

Ingredients :







Fresh Milk
-

1 cup
Water
-

3/4 cup
Tea
-

2 heaped teaspoon
Sugar
-

3 heaped teaspoons

Preparation Method :

Pour in the Milk in a saucepan.


Pour in the water.


When the milk begins to boil, add the sugar and then the tea. 



I use tea bags, in that case use 3-4 bags depending on how strong you want your tea to be. By my experience I'd suggest using TATA premium tea. Unfortunately, this isn't a paid advertisement. Sigh!


Boil for 2 minutes.


Strain out into a cup if you have used loose tea or if it's the bags remove them off.
The secret to nice tea is to pour it a couple of times between two cups from as much height you can, to form a foamy surface.



Serves 2

You can also make a nice cup of tea in the microwave oven.

For a cup of tea :
Pour in half a cup of milk and 1/3 cup of water.
Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and immerse in 2 tea bags.
On the settings of your microwave check for beverages. It should take close to two minutes to boil up. Remove from oven, remove the tea bags and stir well.

CAUTION: always add the sugar and tea bags into the milk before boiling. If you boil plain milk, the milk will spurt out, causing severe burns.

Ok! I'm off with my cup of tea. What are you waiting for?? I bet you too feel like having a nice tea.. try this version.. :)



2 comments:

  1. laiji, your blog is ossam....i do undrstand your efforts in building it....thanks a lot.... n i am sharing your profile pic wit one if my cousin coz you couple look like ma cousin n his wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D that's interesting! :) and now I'm curious to see who looks like us ;) rather who we resemble.. :D

      Delete

I would love to hear from you.. :) Write to me here..